Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pina Colada experiment and rescuing the melonade

Since I'm working on Moes Mango Melonade, I thought I'd also do a little experimentation with pina colada.  I threw three cans of frozen pineapple concentrate, 12 cans of water, and a can of coconut milk into a bucket.  The mixture totals a little over a gallon.  I rehydrated and started the yeast on some corn sugar first since the coconut milk has some potassium metabisulfite.  Within hours, the airlock was bubbling, and by the next day it was rockin and rollin.

Which is a lot more than I can say for the Melonade.  I don't think the airlock on that one has bubbled a single time in three days (except when I push on the lid).  I don't usually end up with this problem, so I sat there staring at it for 5 minutes waiting for the airlock to bubble.  Nothing, nada.  I shook the bucket around again, and made sure the temperature was right (same temperature as the pina colada).   However, this thing looks like a failed start.  I wonder if there's some preservatives in Hawaii's Own that they neglected to list on the can.  I didn't create a thorough starter for it like I did with the pina colada, so I'm in the process of doing so now.  I'll dump the yeast starter in later today and hopefully jump-start the Melonade!

As a side note, I used Red Star champagne yeast for the Melonade, and Lalvin champagne yeast for the pina colada.  Since the Red Star choked, I'm making the new starter out of Lalvin.  That was my first time using Red Star, and so far I'm not impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment