Monday, January 31, 2011

Crescent Moon (Blue Moon Clone) Extract Recipe



I'm attempting to craft my own Blue Moon clone.  Everyone has a clone of it, but Blue Moon is a notoriously difficult one to pin down.  Apparently, it's difficult to get the malty Belgian flavor without going much darker than Blue Moon.  After reading many suggestions and recipes, I've decided to give it a try.

Here's the ingredient list I used:

3.3 lbs Coopers Wheat LME
3 lbs Extra Light DME
1 lb Crystal 10L Malt
1 lb Orange Blossom Honey
2oz Hallertau Hops (4.1% AAU)
1oz Coriander Seeds
1oz Sweet Orange Peel


The first thing you'll notice is that I don't add all of the extract at the beginning.  I'll be holding the LME and honey until 30M to reduce the caramelized sugars (hopefully making it look and taste a bit lighter).  For the yeast, I used a belgian ale yeast from White Labs.  WLP400 if I'm remembering correctly.

The steps I took:

Steep Crystal Malt at 155F for 45M.
Bring to boil, start 60M timer, add DME and 1.5oz hops.
Add LME @30M
Add Honey @30M
Add 0.5oz Coriander @15M
Add 0.5oz Coriander @5M
Add 1oz Orange Peel @5M
Add 0.5oz Hops @5M


The Coriander I used was "Whole Coriander Seeds".  I crushed them thoroughly as I waited for the wort to boil.  The smell of freshly crushed Coriander is amazing.  I wish my kitchen could always smell like that.

My OG was about 1.064.  I transferred this to secondary two weeks ago and samples tasted great.  This is another brew I can't wait to get bottled.

No comments:

Post a Comment