Saturday, October 16, 2010

American Wheat, and the coming Strawberry Breeze experiment

The current brew
So I've cooked up the American Wheat kit and thrown it in a primary fermenter.  I've moved away from using a plastic bucket as my primary fermenter, to a 6.5gal carboy for three good reasons:

1. I can watch the fermentation process to see how it's progressing.
2. When racking to secondary I can more easily see when the yeast cake has settled, and it's easier to avoid racking it.
3. The plastic buckets absorb some of the odor from previous brews.  Good for wines and 'alcopops', bad for beers.

Admittedly, I doubt #3 actually has an impact on the beer, but I'd rather my equipment smelled fruity than malty.



And on the subject of fruity...
Strawberry Breeze concentrate

I'm going to attempt to brew Welch's Strawberry Breeze into a drinkable chick beer for the girlfriend.  Looking at the ingredients, there's apparently a whole lot more "breeze" (and corn syrup) than "strawberry" in this thing.  Strawberry is what she wants though, and this is the only frozen concentrate with strawberry that Walmart had to offer.

Previous experiments with mango and pineapple have given me a good idea how to proceed.  However, I'm still looking to tweak the process/recipe.  Pineapple Experiment #2 had a strange off flavor that I've narrowed down to either the yeast (brown ale yeast), or the cooking/sterilizing process.  Probably a side effect from being caramelized during cooking, but now I'm curious... can you get DMS from cooking fruit juice?  Maybe I should avoid the cooking process this time and hope for the best?

Another small problem that turned up with Pineapple Experiment #2 was some unwanted post-fermentation.  I used potassium sorbate at the end of the process, but there must have been some yeast still active, because the brew was quite pressurized and dry after a couple of weeks in storage.  So as a foot note, make absolutely sure your yeast is dormant before back-sweetening your chick beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment