Friday, October 29, 2010

There's a snake in mah boot

Well, replace 'snake' with 'pepper' and replace 'boot' with 'beer' and you'll have the correct topic. :)

I turned my American Wheat into American Pepper Wheat.  Or is it Peppy-wheat?  I ordered a variety of mild peppers, cinnamon, and vanilla beans to put in a mildly spicy holiday beer for Thanksgiving.  I used 4 vanilla beans, 4 cinnamon sticks, and 5 peppers (2 new mexico peppers, 2 chipotle morita peppers, and 1 guajillo pepper).  I wrapped them in tin foil with a few drops of olive oil and water.  I then heated them all up in the oven at 350 to help sanitize and bring out the flavors.  After several minutes of 'baking' I racked the American Wheat to a secondary, and dropped the goodies in.  I know I didn't add much in the way of vanilla and cinnamon, but hopefully the flavors they impart will at least be detectable.  The aroma coming from this mixture as I opened the tin foil, was amazing.

I'm curious how this will all turn out with a light beer like American Wheat.  Maybe I should have used a darker ale like a Scottish Ale, or a Porter?

No comments:

Post a Comment