Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hard Strawberry Breeze in the bottle.



I've gotten around to bottling the Hard Strawberry Breeze.  Does this drink have a celebrity name yet? If not, we should name the chilled version a "Lucille Ball".  It's a little bit red, can smack you around, and convinces you to do silly things.  Sound right?  "I think I'll have a Hard Lucille Ball with my key-lime pie please."  Way better than drinking a Hard Arnold Palmer.

I wasn't sure how much priming sugar to add, and I don't exactly have a scale to measure the priming sugar by weight.  However, most recipes I read recommend 3/4 cup of priming sugar for 5 gallons.  I'm using a 1 gallon batch, so I ended up boiling 1/5 of 3/4 of a cup (3/20 of a cup) of priming sugar.  Which turns out to be almost 2.5 Tablespoons.  Does that sound right?  The carbonation calculators I tried all measured in weight.  (sad, sad, face)

I guess I'll know in a couple of weeks whether 2.5 Tablespoons is enough to carbonate these Lucies.

By the way, you might be interested in knowing how I back sweetened, since the fermented mixture is terrible.  I actually boiled and added 3 cups of granulated baking Splenda.  The big fluffy kind that resembles snow flakes.  At one cup it definitely wasn't sweet enough, and at 3 cups, the girlfriend finally gave me the nod of approval.  Due to all the excess mass from the extra sugar and water, I almost ended up with a full 12 pack (one bottle short).  As another side note about the back sweetening, Splenda definitely has a lower gravity than sugar.  The recipe fermented down to almost 1.000 even.  3 cups of splenda only added 0.010 to the scale.  Granted, I added about a cup of water to each cup of sugar for boiling, so maybe that helped the gravity even out too.

I'll let you know how this tasty stuff turns out in a week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment