Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Taming the freezer beast

So, twice now the freezer went so cold it froze my lager and the rest of the contents.  Both times were due to communication errors between the laptop and the power strip.  I wouldn't have noticed one of them if I hadn't been in the garage when some soda pop cans in the freezer started exploding from the pressure.  If they hadn't exploded while I was around I would have never known my lager was turning into ice beer.

There are a few disaster scenarios I can think of:

 * Communication to the power strip dies again.  I've now created a script in the laptop which monitors the power strip connection and alerts me if there are problems.

 * Laptop dies while the heat or freezer is on.  Since the laptop is dead it can't alert me to the problem, and can't control the power strip to turn off the devices.  I've set up a remote monitoring service, and a dead-man's script on the laptop to text my cell phone when this happens.  When the laptop stops responding, the remote monitoring service alerts me.
 * Freezer or heater stops working.  The laptop will now alert me if the temperature goes way above or below the desired threshold.

No comments:

Post a Comment